"In marriage a woman has three rings. The first goes on the right hand; the second goes on the left hand; and, the third goes in her husband's nose."
1. Perhaps the most pointless product... of all time was non-alcoholic beer.
2. Now that you've found your place in the world...
don't start redecorating it.
3. If you want to keep your foot out of your mouth...keep your mouth shut.
4. Life is so time-consuming...there's no time for anything else.
5. The shortest distance between two points...could be between your ears.
6. What one phrase do all husbands need to know?...Move over Rover!
7. There is no fury like a woman...who thinks you weren't listening.
8. Self-made men have only... themselves to blame.
9. If wars were fought by committees... no one would be killed, at least on the committees.
10. One thing must be said about flattery...it always works.
Some people were not born to punctuate; these cannot learn the art. They can learn only a rude fashion of it.; they cannot attain to its niceties, for these must be felt; they cannot be reasoned out. Cast-iron rules will not answer, here, any way; what is one man's comma is another man's colon. One man can't punctuate another man's manuscript any more than one person can make the gestures for another person's speech.
MARK TWAIN, LETTER TO A BOSTON GIRL, 1880
Any writer overwhelmingly honest about pleasing himself is almost sure to please others
To write is to write is to write is to write is to write.
Everyone who works in the domain of fiction is a little crazy. The problem is to make this craziness interesting.
I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book. If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for?
Books are man's best friends...after dogs, of course.
What would you call someone who is both optimistic about some things, and pessimistic about others?
Mother Nature at Work
The committee to design a horse...came up with a camel.
The committee to design a camel...came up with a horse.
I felt like you can write forever, but you have a short time to raise a family.
And I think a family is a lot more important than writing.
IS MODERN TECHNOLOGY DESTROYING CIVILITY, MANNERS,
AND FAMILY VALUES?
Talk among yourselves.
The eleventh day of the eleventh month has been set aside to honor the sacrifices of our war veterans. Let us stop a moment in their honor in our busy pursuit of the life that they have made possible for all Americans.
Copyright 2010 HTStone