Thursday, May 13, 2010

Generic Maxims No.3

N  U  M  B  E  R     T  H  R  E  E

  

1. In this economy you may have to float a loan to get a root canal.
***
2. All work and no playing around makes Jack a good husband.
***

3. Contentment is not getting what you want, but remembering where you put what you have.
***
4. A ounce of charm is worth a gallon of sincerity.
***


5. Love a few; be kind to all; make many feel needed. There ain't much more to it than that.
***
6. If you rattle someone's cage, don't be surprised if they punch you through the bars.
***

7. A match can be used only once, so be careful whose fire you light.
***
8. If you rise to your level of incompetence, ask for a promotion.
***

9. Civilization is an excuse to collect taxes and fight bigger wars.
***
10. If you know a thing or two, try to make it three or four.
***
I would like to thank the few who occasionally send me contributions, even though some try to pass off well-known quotations as their own creative inspiration. This week, one, Hedley Moosescales, Esq. sent me this jewel: "Die, my dear doctor? That's the last thing I shall do!" These are the famous last words of Viscount Henry Palmerston, and when I pointed this out to Hedley, he admitted he had read this somewhere or other at some point in the distant past. I thanked him anyway for his interest in this humble waste of time.
     
            Hedley Moosescales, Esq., his high school yearbook picture.
Inscribed to: " Dear Snookie, love forever. I am with child.! L.
      ***
Go to w.w.w.mydailyaphorism.blogspot.com for your daily fix by Nothingprofound.
***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have MISSED YOU COUNT! How are you and your family?

nothingprofound said...

Count-so glad I dropped by today and found this new basket of gems:

"Contentment is not getting what you want, but remembering where you put what you have."

"If you rattle someone's cage, don't be surprised if they punch you through the bars."

"A match can be used only once, so be careful whose fire you light."

And more...

The match one reminds me of this recent one by moi: "A match only gets one chance to burn."

Have a wonderful day!